TUMT Procedure in Encino, CA
What is Transurethral Microwave Therapy?
Transurethral microwave therapy, abbreviated as TUMT, is an outpatient procedure performed by Dr. Michael Hyman to relieve patients of symptoms associated with an enlarged prostate. This procedure offers several benefits over more traditional treatment methods, such as transurethral resection of the prostate (TURP) and open prostatectomy. Dr. Hyman is a board-certified urologist with extensive experience diagnosing and treating enlarged prostate with the TUMT procedure. Call (818) 906-1300 to request an appointment at our urology office in Encino today.
Why TUMT May Be Necessary
As men age, it is perfectly normal for them to experience gradual growth in the size of their prostate. This is why approximately half of all men over the age of 60 will experience symptoms of an enlarged prostate, which is also often referred to as benign prostatic hyperplasia (BPH).
Men with BPH are likely to suffer from a variety of urinary dysfunctions and difficulties caused by the increasing pressure that is put onto the bladder, urethra, and other components of the urinary system by the excess prostate tissue. Such symptoms typically include:
- Strong and sudden urge to urinate
- Frequent urination
- Difficulty starting or stopping the flow of urine when desired
- Constant feeling of fullness within the bladder
- Waking at night several times to urinate
- Recurrent urinary tract infections
- Accidental leakage of urine
Obviously, living with symptoms of an enlarged prostate can be quite difficult and even embarrassing for many individuals. Fortunately, Dr. Hyman is able to provide several effective treatment options and alternative procedures like transurethral microwave therapy to traditional prostate surgery for BPH.
Advantages of Transurethral Microwave Therapy
Many of our patients elect to have transurethral microwave therapy due to its many perceived benefits over more complex procedures. Individuals who undergo TUMT can expect:
- No hospital stay: Unless some sort of unforeseen complication arises, patients may return home within a few hours of completing transurethral microwave therapy.
- Reduced chance of bleeding: Since no incision is needed, there is unlikely to be any blood lost during TUMT. This can be especially important for patients who have been prescribed blood thinners for other health issues.
- Lower risk of fertility complications: Retrograde ejaculation is known potential complication of several BPH treatments, but occurs much more rarely in patients who underwent transurethral microwave therapy. While retrograde ejaculation does not pose any serious threats to a man’s health, it can impact his ability to naturally conceive a child.
How TUMT Is Performed
To make sure that patients do not experience any sort of pain or discomfort, a local anesthetic will be injected into the prostate. It is also possible for patients to receive intravenous sedation, which will allow them to remain conscious yet totally numbed throughout the procedure.
Transurethral microwave therapy begins by threading a thin, flexible device called an antenna through the urethra. The antenna will be inserted into the tip of the penis, and then guided through the urethra until it reaches the targeted location where the urethra is enveloped on either side by the prostate. At this point, microwave radiation will be emitted from the antenna and delivered to the tissues of the prostate. These microwaves are able to heat the prostate’s excess tissue and destroy it to relieve pressure placed on nearby structures like the urethra.
Results from TUMT
Patients should begin to notice results from transurethral microwave therapy in the first several months following their procedure. It will take some time for the tissues of the prostate to break down, and then for the body to process that newly destroyed tissue. Gradually, symptoms should begin to dissipate and improve.
If you experience any abnormal symptoms or dramatic changes during your recovery period, please contact Dr. Michael Hyman immediately for careful review of your condition. Although negative side effects from transurethral microwave therapy are rare, they should be addressed as quickly as possible to prevent lasting damage to the prostate or urinary system.
Schedule an Enlarged Prostate Evaluation Today
Dr. Hyman has over 20 years of experience diagnosing and treating men throughout the Los Angeles area for enlarged prostate. Call to request an appointment at our urology office in Encino today!